Full-Time Public Works Director
The City of Granger is a fast-growing community located 10 minutes northwest of the Des Moines metro. It has excellent small schools and a great mix of new and well-settled families.
We are currently accepting applications for a Full-Time Public Works Director to be a leader within our City and assist in implementation of its missions:
- Citizen Service Excellence
- Culture of Cooperation
- Personal/Professional Development
This is the chief supervisory and administrative position of the Department of Public Works. The work involves technical and administrative responsibility for planning, coordinating, and directing overall public works activities. It is performed under administrative direction in accordance with existing laws, city ordinances, and policies, permitting the considerable exercise of independent judgment in planning, coordinating, and carrying out public works projects and programs. General supervision is exercised over other public works employees. Related work is performed as required.
- Supervises and directs the construction of new streets and the repair, reconstruction, and maintenance of existing streets, curbing, culverts, bridges, parks, and all other City facilities.
- Works with sewer operator and city engineer on the construction of new sewer lines and the reconstruction, maintenance, and cleaning of the existing sewer and drainage system.
- Works with water operator and city engineer on the construction of new water lines and the reconstruction, maintenance, and cleaning of the existing water and distribution system.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of the sewage treatment plant and water treatment plant.
- Supervises custodial staff and other public works staff.
- Collaborates with other City personnel as necessary (parks, library, EMS/fire, etc.)
- Plans and directs the maintenance and operation of public buildings and street lighting systems.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Valid driver’s license and CDL Class B (or ability to obtain CDL, Class B within six months of hire)
- Minimum Grade 1 licenses in Water Treatment and Water Distribution (with agreement to obtain Grade 2 within 12 months of employment)
- Minimum Grade 1 Waste Water (with agreement to obtain Grade 2 within 18 months of employment)
- Minimum three (3) years experience in Public Works for a municipality.
- Management and leadership experience a plus.
- Proven ability to work with developers, businesses, citizens and engineers.
- Existing Grade 2 licensing in Water Treatment and Water Distribution, and Grade 2 or 3 on Waste Water
Hours are standard FT working hours (8a-5p), but flexibility in scheduling may be required. On-call time periods on some nights/weekends will be required for water/sewer plant operations. It is preferable the candidate reside within 30 miles of Granger, but not necessarily required. EOE. Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested parties should submit a completed and signed application, and/or resume and cover letter to Granger City Hall, PO Box 333, Granger, IA 50109, or by email at [email protected] or by fax (515) 999-2988. Applications can be obtained at www.grangeriowa.org or at Granger City Hall and will be accepted until 5:00 pm on 11/25/2020.
For a job application click here