Granger Parks and Rec Board Meeting, June 5, 2019
General Agenda Items:
- Call to Order: Jeri Wendzel called to order at 7:06 p.m.
- Roll Call: Present – Jeri Wendzel, Ryan Castro, and Erik Smith
Absent – Jennifer Kopp, Carla Drennen
Members of the Public – Jennifer Harned (Parks and Rec Director), Brad Feick
- Approval of the Agenda: Erik motions, Ryan seconds (all ayes)
- Approval of the June 5, 2019 minutes: Erik motions, Ryan seconds (all ayes)
- Public Forum – None
Board Discussion Items
- Director’s Report
- Old Electronic Sign Update
- Parks budget came under so the sign out front will be replaced, both top and middle. The digital part of the sign in the middle is obsolete, so will be removed. Cost is $1300 to replace all. Jennifer would like input on whether or not to move forward with the design presented.
- Jeri motions to move forward, Ryan seconds. Erik says nay, but motion carries.
- Movie in the Park Help
- Jennifer would like help setting up before Movie in the Park nights. Dates are June 28 (Jeri and Ryan can help), July 26 (Ryan may be able to help), August 24 (Jeri and possibly Ryan can help). Jennifer bought an inflatable screen, so set up will hopefully be a lot easier.
- Jennifer was also looking for ideas for activities before the movie to help draw in a crowd. Such as Superhero guests before the Incredibles movie, Blank Park Zoo before Jumanji. She would love other ideas as well.
iii. Summer Programming Update
- Swimming lessons are going well. 34 students are enrolled.
- June Freezer meal class was cancelled due to low enrollment.
- Community Center Rentals – Alcohol Usage
- Jennifer would like to change the wording to include if they did not hire an officer, deposit will be surrendered. Officer will come to the building throughout the rental.
- There was recently an incident where an individual who rented the building indicated that they would not be serving alcohol but evidence after the fact showed otherwise.
- Wording in the rental contract will be changed.
- Adult Fitness Class options
- Jennifer is looking into different options/times for Adult Fitness classes. She suggested streaming classes via a subscription service. Since the Parks budget is under budget it was suggested to pursue the streaming classes option. Jennifer is also looking into getting recertified to be a Zumba instructor and offering that as well.
- Peak Prospects
- Their building project has fallen through. But they are still hosting college games throughout June/July at the High School Baseball field. The first game conflicts with an event at the community center. Jennifer talked with the Police Chief and have discussed putting up road block barricades until the event starts to hopefully separate parking.
vii. Rental – Julie Stanger Rental tabled at the City Council meeting until June.
viii. Concession Stand – Update from Brad.
- Hopefully done in 2-3 weeks.
- July Board Meeting
- Reminder July’s board meeting has been moved to July 1, 7 pm.
- CCRA & Parks Report
- We are under budget and looking to see where there is a need to be filled.
- One place is to get better WiFi in the building by placing an access point to boost the WiFi in the south part of the building.
- Also, replacing the horseshoe pits at Centennial Park with concrete cornhole games. Option to add an updated horseshoe pit if there are complaints.
- Grants Update
- No grants
- City Council Update Subjects:
- Bring up the Julie Stanger issue.
Board Action: none
Old Business: none
New Business: Next meeting will be MONDAY, July 1, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Adjournment: Ryan motions to adjourn, Erik seconds, all Ayes, meeting adjourned at 7:48 p.m.
Submitted by Jeri Wendzel, Chair