Granger Parks and Rec Board Meeting, July 1st, 2019
- General Agenda Items:
Call to Order: Jeri Wendzel called to order at 7:05p.m.
Roll Call: Present – Jeri Wendzel, Jennifer Kopp, Ryan Castro, and Erik Smith
Members of Public – Jennifer Harned (Parks and Rec Director),
Approval of the Agenda – Carla motions, Jeri seconds (all ayes)
Approval of June 5th, 2019 Minutes: Carla motions, Jenn seconds (all ayes)
Public Forum- None
- Board Discussion Items
- Director’s Report:
- Summer Camp: The numbers seem to be similar to last years numbers. In the future, we may add more field trips.
- Movie in the Park:
- There were only 4 people in attendance and they left early. It cannot start until 9pm which may result in low attendance. What kind of activities would be good to do before the movie night?
- We could possibly do a survey asking for area to improve on.
III. Sylvan Learning Camps:
- Both the Robotics Camp and Math Camp went well. We want to continue to look into educational camps in the future.
- However, the camps seemed to be a little short. It is possible for us to bring them in for a whole week. The robotics camp could have been more educational.
- Bam Bam: Bam Bam will begin next week as it continues to grow with 93 participants this year.
- Little League/Baseball Field Scheduling 2020:
- It may be beneficial for us to reevaluate how the field scheduling is done for 2020
- T-ball should get priority. This year all the rookie teams were taking the 5:00 pm times. The younger kids were practicing till 8:30 pm.
- Jen would like to hand over the scheduling to someone else.
- Community Center Updates:
- Cabinets have been painted.
VII. Adult Fitness Classes
- Offering a variety of free classes throughout the summer to get feedback about what the community would like going forward.
- Become more gender inclusive.
VIII. Concrete Cornhole:
- Hopefully delivered before Granger Days.
- Erik and other parents would like for us to have flag football extended past 2nd grade.
- Many parents are concerned about having their 3rd grade students playing tackle football.
- In order to do this, we would need to reach out to surrounding communities to see if we could have them join us. We would also need to make it a program ran by the city.
- This fall would be too soon to implement this program. Next fall, we will be able to hopefully implement this program.
- Ryan motions to expand flag football, Jeri seconds (All Ayes).
- CCRA/Parks: Currently, out of our 2019/2020 fiscal budget, we are at 0% of our money spent.
- Grants Update: None
III. Board Action:
- Old Business: None.
- New Business: Next meeting will be Wednesday, August 7th, 2019 at 7:00 PM.
- Adjournment: All Ayes to Adjourn
Jeri motions, Ryan seconds, meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM
Submitted by Jennifer Kopp, Secretary