Granger Parks and Rec Board Meeting, August 7, 2019
General Agenda Items:
- Call to order: Jeri Wendzel called to order at 7:43 p.m.
- Roll Call: Present – Jeri Wendzel, Ryan Castor, Erik Smith
Absent – Jennifer Kopp, Carla Drennen
Members of the Public – Jennifer Harned (Parks and Rec Director), Brad Feick, and Members of Girl Scout troop 1015: Alexandria Wendzel, Mackenzie Smith, Grace Praska
- Approval of the Agenda: Erik motions, Ryan seconds (all ayes)
- Approval of the July 1, 2019 minutes: Erik motions, Ryan seconds (all ayes)
- Public Forum – Girl Scout Troop 1015 presented their renovation idea for the butterfly garden outside the main doors of the community center. Erik motions to go ahead with the project pending city council approval; Ryan seconds (all ayes)
Board Discussion Items
- Director’s Report
- Bam Bam – Bam Bam numbers reached 96 this year. This is the highest yet.
- Youth Soccer – Youth Soccer is in full swing. Jennifer will be meeting with several people who are interested in developing soccer past 2nd grade.
iii. Movie in the Park – July 26 had about 25 people in attendance. The last movie in the park will be during Granger Days on Saturday August 24th.
- Freezer Meal Class – will take place in August, 7 are enrolled this month.
- Beggars Night – Wednesday October 30th
- Celebrate Recovery – Lake Country Bible Chapel would like to host a program called Celebrate Recovery. It is a Christ-centered, 12 step recovery program for anyone struggling with hurt, pain or addiction of any kind. They are looking to meet Sundays 5-9 pm and would make a donation. Erik motioned to approve this and Ryan seconds (all ayes)
vii. Summer Recreation Camp – Summer camp is wrapping up this week. Camp went well. We will continue next summer offering full summer and weekly option.
viii. Adult Fitness Classes – There’s been some interest in daytime. Jennifer would like to start a class at 8:45 am Monday-Friday starting the beginning of September. Class would be Monday – Upper Body, Tuesday – Zumba, Thursday – Lower Body. Wednesday and Fridays would be streaming classes that are open to the public and free. Cost would be $75 for Sept/Oct. Erik motioned to approve this; Ryan seconds (all ayes)
- Community Center Rentals Alcohol – Changing wording to include if they did not hire an officer, deposit will be surrendered. Officer will come to the building throughout the rental.
- Concession Stand – no update from Brad.
- Walters Sanitation Donation – Would like to make a donation towards the park. They did not give a monetary amount but merely asked for ideas. Some ideas we came up with were; new water fountains, dog poop sanitation stations. We will work on brainstorming more and Jennifer will inquire about a monetary amount.
xii. Terri Cox/Cathy Cox – They are looking to make a donation for a bench $495. Jennifer will look into pricing for benches.
xiii. Park Board Meeting change – Jennifer would like to propose to move the Park Board meetings to the 4th Monday of the month at 7 pm. The next meeting would be August 28. Erik motioned to approve this; Ryan seconds (all ayes).
- CCRA & Parks Report
- The Parks budget sits at 5.38% spent (2.95% less than last year at this time) and the Community Center budget sits at 5.92% spent (2.73% more than last year at this time).
- Grants Update
- No grants
- City Council Update Subjects:
- Get approval for the Girl Scout Butterfly Garden renovation project.
Board Action: none
Old Business: none
- Next meeting will be Monday, August 28, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Adjournment: Ryan motions to adjourn, Erik seconds, all ayes, meeting adjourned at 8:07 p.m.
Submitted by Jeri Wendzel, Chair